During all dental examinations, we will evaluate the mouth for oral cancer warning signs. Patients are encouraged to discuss any changes in the mouth, palate, and throat with us as they may be red flags for oral cancer.
Oral cancer red flags include:
* Prior experience with any type of cancer
* History of smoking or chewing tobacco
* Lesions and sores
* White patches on the mouth
* Discomfort when moving the jaw
* Lumps underneath the tongue
* Bumps in the cheeks and lips
* Difficulty swallowing
If an oral cancer screening reveals possible problems, the dentist will recommend patients visit a primary care physician or an oncologist for further diagnostic treatment.
If you think you may have oral cancer, please give us a call as soon as possible so we can take a look. Remember, the earlier you take action, the better. View our hours and get directions to our office on our contact page.